Thursday, February 26, 2009

es hilarante. seriamente.

Lately I've seriously been reconsidering nearly all of the well-intentioned decision making I've done in my life. Granted I wouldn't be here now had the happenings in my life not transpired in the exact order that they did, but I digress.

For example, while my love of the French language hasn't waned, I now realize that it would have been infinitely more u
seful to have studied Spanish with the same vigor. Which brings me to this post: I recently decided that you can teach old dogs new tricks and I decided to learn some basic Spanish. Not necessarily to achieve speech but perhaps just some level of comprehension that might prove useful living in a place like Bushwick. So I went to the library and came home with "Speak Basic Spanish In No Time!" It is filled with the same lame sentences that fill all beginning foreign language books: "What time is it?" "That ball is orange." "Where is the bathroom?" etc., etc. Having taught from these types of books, I know how unimportant content usually is. You grasp the structure, you grasp the grammar, you learn vocabulary, hopefully you can put it all together yourself, the end. I have learned to gloss over the rest.

Luckily an alert reader had borrowed this book before me. Otherwise I would have missed this hilarity completely. This is probably also not as funny as I am acting, but I swear I can't stop laughing.
Enjoy:

1 comment:

  1. How come there is no translation for
    "Do you have any vasoline?"
    "where can I get bee's wax in brick form?"

    or my favorite
    "I get hives from jariatos soda..please stop offering it to me thanks"

    ReplyDelete