Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gross miscommunications

I attended a reception for a Japanese ceramicist yesterday. It was cool to be hearing the usual art reception banter going on but half of it occuring in Japanese. I was doing my slow drive-by walk looking at the art, floating in and out of conversation/banter bubbles when I walked by two people conversing in English in the corner. The participants in this conversation were an elderly white lady (ewl) and a youngish white hipster (ywh).

ewl: Do you speak any Japanese then?
ywh: I wish I did, but I only know like a word or two. (laughs)
ewl: Yes (laughs). Ohayo.
ywh: (pauses; laughs) Texas.

This conversation snippet really happened and I had to turn my head to hide my huge grin and give a little cough to hide my guffaw, you know, lest I embarrass myself or the parties involved. I wish I could have seen what happened next, but I had to exit stage left in a hurry. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment